First up is this darling and touching book by Jenipher Lyn: How being Stubborn Depressed and Unpopular Saved my Life. From the title it sounds like a heavy book, but don't be hesitant to read it, Jenipher covers universal topics that we can all relate to, self comparison, not feeling good enough (can I get a hand raise?!) all with her adorable and lighthearted illustrations and lettering. It's hard not to smile while reading this book, a great read to share with a teen or tween in your life (or anybody really!) we all deal with this stuff and it's a good reminder we are not alone! I first met Jenipher on twitter and saw her sweet illustrations, and that she was writing a book and she sent me one copy to share with you in a giveaway - giveaway details at the bottom of this post! See more views of the book here or purchase in Jenipher's etsy shop!
Next in our summer reading giveaway is Maker Dad: Lunch Box Guitars, Antigravity Jars and 22 other Incredibly Cool Father Daughter Projects by Mark Frauenfelder founder of Boing Boing and editor in chief of MAKE magazine. I was contacted by Mark's publishing company to see if I'd like to do a giveaway on my blog, I thought just based on title ALONE that this sounded like a fabulous book! As a kid I loved rainy day project type books and I would have been first in line to get this one! It covers everything from making an ice cream sandwich necklace (one of my fav projects from the book!) to silkscreening shirts to making a retro video arcade game. If you have a patient and crafty Dad, this book would be a great gift for Father's Day! AND I have a copy to giveaway too - see the end of this post for details to enter the giveaway.
And last (but not least!) is Pam Carriker's book, Creating Art at the Speed of Life: 30 days of mixed media exploration. Summer is perfect to catch up on your creativity, so why not get started with Pam's book and have a new project every day for a month! (this book pairs well with my online Composition for Collage class which starts June 19!) Focusing on art journals as your base, Pam takes you through a new technique each day and by the end of the book, you will have a fabulous art journal, filled with new techniques. Pam also covers design basics like color, shading, form, line etc and has Q & A highlights with artists featured in the book: Seth Apter, Lesley Riley, Mary Beth Shaw, Susan Tuttle and many others! I have one copy to giveaway to a lucky winner! Details below on how to enter!
PRIZES: 3 winners - 1 of the above books per winner
HOW TO ENTER: let me know in the comments below which book you are entering for! Don't forget to include your email if you don't have a blogger profile, so that way I can contact you!
CONTEST CLOSES: Winners will be selected at random on Friday June 13th at 5pm EST and I'll notify winners by email as well as post them here.
thanks everyone for playing!!
You are in for a treat with this class!! If you sign up we'll be spending 4 weeks together, from June 19th - July 17th -- you'll come away refreshed and loaded with new inspiration and ideas! Think of it as an arty summer camp for your creative soul!
This online class isn't just a blog with a password. It's Audio, Video, Slide Shows, Handouts, Message Boards and more. I will be there with you to guide you along and it will be a truly interactive experience - and here's the best part - I comment on EVERY SINGLE artwork that is posted in the gallery, so it's a great chance to get one on one feedback from me about your work!
Here's a little video from me to you all about the class and why composition is so important!
What a few participants said after taking the Composition for Collage class:
This composition class gave me a whole new perspective on everything I do from this point on - changed my style completely causing me to express in a new direction. - username Ourlife
One of my all-time favorite classes. Claudine not only gives great information, but was so involved in giving feedback that I couldn't believe it. She is one incredible artist and person! - Kathleen Conrad
This class is so worth it...in collage sometimes less is more...this class helps you learn that...and the icing on the cake is Big Picture classes are accessible forever after you purchase them...you can't beat that deal!!! - E'Layne Koenigsberg
Full details are below and to register NOW click here!!
COMPOSITION FOR COLLAGE - CLASS DESCRIPTION
I have developed this class much like my popular Composition class that I have taught in live workshops all over the US, Canada and in Italy. Now brought to you in an online format!
Let me tell you a little background: When I was in art college getting my BFA degree we had very rigorous training in the fundamentals. We took 2 years of classes in composition. Yes TWO YEARS! That's how important good composition is!
Well you can skip the two years of training because I have boiled down various methods, gleaned from my art college days and developed surefire tools for creating strong compositions in your projects. Easy to learn and quick to implement, you will be making professional looking collages by the end of the first week. I promise!
Are you ever working on a project and you just feel something in your belly that says “this is not quite right but I don’t know how to fix it?” I will give you have the tools to know how to fix it so you can make your best work!
Each week I will go over a new composition method by video and slide show in a fun lighthearted and easy to understand format. You’ll have images to download and all the tools you need to work with, no extra supplies are needed. It won’t be long before you discover how it easy it is and by using just a few new techniques, great compositions practically create themselves! Really!!
So whether you are a scrapbooker making the transition to mixed media work, or have been creating altered artwork for some time…. you will find the investment in this class will give back to you for the rest of your creative life! Gone will be the frustration of working on composition. You’ll know how to apply the tools of good composition and it will make ALL the difference in everything you create!
THIS CLASS INCLUDES:
- Welcome notes from Claudine in the classroom
- Colorful instructional handouts with step-by-step instructions for each lesson/project
- 20 sheets of high resolution printable collage pages created from Claudine's favorite images -- all to use in our composition exercises (a $100 value!!)
- Instructional videos
- Powerpoint slideshows with Claudine's audio instruction
- Reminder emails when the classroom is updated with new materials
- Weekly emails offering inspiration, images from other artists and discussion about what we are working on that week
- Private posting gallery to share your work and view the work of your classmates and Claudine
- Email access to Claudine and lots of "Claudine" time
- Message board to share your thoughts with your classmates
- Feedback directly from Claudine on artwork posted in the classroom gallery
- and more!!
ALL FOR JUST $30!!
- Is this class open to International students? - YES! That's what is so great about online classes no matter where you are you can take it!
- Do I have to buy all Claudine Hellmuth Studio products to take the class? No you don't. Actually there is NO SUPPLY LIST. I repeat. NO SUPPLY LIST. Work with what you have and use the downloads I provide. yay!
- Do I have to be "present" each day to take the class? no you don't! you can follow along as the class progresses, or check in periodically and download the directions, watch the videos at your leisure! it is *best* if you can follow along with the class as I'll be able to comment on your work and help you, but if you are out of town, don't worry, you won't miss out on any details!
- When does the class start? June 19th
- How much is the class? $30 for 4 weeks of instruction! That's only $1 a day!
- Where is the supply list? Actually there is NO SUPPLY LIST. Work with what you have and use the collage downloads I provide. Easy!!
- How long does the class stay active for those who registered? Students will have "forever access" to the class materials, which means that class will end July 17th (so there will no longer be teacher interaction), but students can go back at any point in time (as long as BPC exists) and access the class materials, gallery and message board! WOW!
- I am just starting making art/collage: that's great! You'll get a jump just by learning these composition techniques and it will save you a lot of headaches.
- Will it be fun? Composition sounds like math? Of COURSE it will be FUN!! I like to have fun. I promise we'll be learning and laughing!! Let me tell you one thing this class WON'T be is intimidating. I make sure it's a considerate and supportive environment to post your work. You will be getting supportive and encouraging but useful feedback that you can use right away. NO harsh critiques.
- Will it work on my ipad? Yes! you can lie on the couch and watch all the videos right on your ipad!
- I took this class in 2012, is this one the same? Yes it is the same class, but all the live interactions with me are live and fresh and new with new questions, new answers and new chats etc.
If you have any other questions that I didn't cover just post them in the comments and I will answer!
Class runs from June 19th-July 17th but you will have lifetime access to all the materials and instructions!
FTC Disclosure: links in this post are affiliate links. If you click and purchase my class, I will earn a small referral fee. I appreciate your clicks and support!
Labels: online classes