CLAUDINE HELLMUTH
CLAUDINE HELLMUTH blog   

thank you sean
Today my friend Sean Holton passed away.  He was diagnosed with brain cancer 2 years ago and chronicled his battle in his blog Same Time Tomorrow with the same wit, humor and grace that he brought to the rest of his life. I urge you to read his blog. His incredible writing will touch you. His humor will make you laugh at a topic that you might think is impossible to be funny about.

I have known Sean since I was a little girl. He worked with my Mother for many years and was not only a family friend but he became part of our family. As an only child he's the closest thing I had to an uncle. I admired him, looked up to him and like a little sister giddy to be spending time with her big brother  -- I was always thrilled when I got to spend time with him.


A few weeks before his death I wrote Sean a letter. Just a little trip down memory lane. While I am not the amazing writer that Sean was,  this is from the heart. I am re-posting it here.

-----------------------

Dear Sean

I remember first meeting you when I was at mom's office in Kansas City. Magnum PI was one of my favorite shows and you looked exactly like Tom Selleck with your mustache! My 8 year old self was completely star struck at your likeness to Magnum -- I expected you to start running down a beach with two dobermans at any moment, music soaring in the background.

I remember lots of Kansas City Star parties and Burning Down the House playing on the stereo, everyone was dancing in the living room. I can not hear that song and not think of you.

Remember "Gossip Queen Abdicates"? What I would call the most witty, hilarious and touching story you wrote for my mom describing our Buick as pink (it was sand colored, ahem). When that car became mine, every time I drove it thought of you calling it a pink Buick and it would always make me giggle.

When I moved to DC, you helped me find an apartment and took me door to door until we found a place. Frantic phone calls were made to landlords, you even ran to help me get copies of the lease, all of this while the Oklahoma City Bombing was a breaking story, and you needed to be at the office. Thank you.

I looked so much forward to our "Melrose Monday's" at Craig and David's. I always cherished spending time with you guys and it was my highlight of every week. Remember how Craig would leave the vacuum out because he had spent so much on it he thought it should have a prominent place in the living room? I remember watching Babe the Pig while you declared it BBQ night. Going to see Sense and Sensibility at the Uptown theater in Cleveland Park. I can't pass by The Dupont Italian Kitchen without thinking of you.

Thank you for giving a reading at our wedding. Thank you for your writing, your humor, your wit your awesomeness. You are the brother and uncle I never had, all wrapped into one.
I love you Sean.

--------------------

To read Sean's Blog Click Here
Sean's Obit in the Orlando Sentinel
And for the journalists out there: Sean's Half Assed Guide to Mediocrity
COMMENTS:
I'm so sorry for your loss - I've just spent some time over on Sean's blog and he was clearly a special guy. What a loss to you and your family.

x
 
So sorry Claudine, I have read his blog and found it insightful and funny and a terrific memoir of a very difficult time. Thank you for sharing it.
 
I'm sorry for your loss. What a beautiful letter - so wonderful that Sean knew how much he meant to you.
 
Sniff, sniff :o(
 
Touching letter, Claudine. I'm sure he appreciated it. I've just finished reading his obituary... and will now use a quote from Sean as my mantra.

"Do not be afraid. Fear is a waste of time, and a waste of life."

I am currently fearing something in my life. No more. At least, I will try for no more.
 
Thank you for letting us know. Thought not unexpected, his passing is heartbreaking for all who knew him - that I am sure. He fought the good fight with courage and bravery. I am glad I was able to follow his journey. Love to all.
 
Claudine, I am so sorry your the loss of your friend, Sean. Death is never easy but this time of year, it seems even more unfair. I hope that his family is at peace with his passing after his struggle with brain cancer. Thank you for sharing your friend with us. Rest In Peace, Sean. <3 Candy
 
I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a very special person.
 
Condolences on the loss of someone so important in your life. May time ease your grief and let wonderful memories flood your heart.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

press
contact me
my books & dvds
books with my work
previous posts
archives


Powered by Blogger
SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG'S FEED
all artwork and text
© Claudine Hellmuth Creative LLC
content of this site may not be reproduced in any manner without advance written permission

 

artwork portfolios | licensing | product shop | workshops & events | press room | blog | about me | contact | home

CLAUDINE HELLMUTH : Hip Art for Playful Hearts : Mixed media Collage and Custom Commissioned Artwork


All artwork and text in this web site copyright © Claudine Hellmuth Creative LLC