CLAUDINE HELLMUTH
CLAUDINE HELLMUTH blog   

ice skating at the National Gallery Sculpture Garden
Saturday Paul and I treated ourselves to a day of ice skating at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden. In the winter they turn the large fountain in the middle into an ice rink. We missed it last year so this year we were determined to go.

When we got there, we discovered everyone else must have had the same idea. There was a long line with about a 30 to 45 minute wait to get your skates and get on the ice. A guy with his date saw the length of the line then promptly went to the front, gave the guy a tip and got right in. I'm sure his date was impressed but we were not.

The staff at the ice rink are hilariously grumpy, sternly shouting out rules and orders over the loudspeaker every 5 minutes, exasperated if you needed to change your skate size or ask any additional questions. You got the feeling they really didn't like their jobs, or maybe they weren't getting enough tips.

Still it was super fun and we skated around for about 2 hours, we didn't even fall once! It was a beautiful setting to skate in amongst the sculpture garden artworks and we got hot chocolate to warm up at the pavilion. Already looking forward to going back again!

Labels:

COMMENTS:
you look absolutely GORGEOUS and very happy !
 
You look absolutely gorgeous my friend!!! There is something wonderful about the crisp, fresh air and the feeling of floating along the ice hand in hand - So glad you had fun :D
 
That looks so fun! I have romantic notions of doing this with my husband, but I know myself too well, I'd fall down and hurt myself, I'd be too cold and embarrassed from falling down, LOL! :) Glad you had fun, though! :)
 
Cute, cute pic!! Sounds like lots of fun! :)

Hope your week gets off to a "tealightful" start!

Ann~Margaret
Ann-Margaret's SpecialTea Shoppe
http://www.ann-margarets.typepad.com/annmargaretsvisions/
 
LOL....were they as grumpy as the ferry nazis?
xoxo
 
Hey beautiful skater! Way to rise above a grumpy staff and go for the joy!
 
Wow! I had no idea! Thanks for sharing. My kids and I loved seeing the pics.
 
Wow, I had to read the line about waiting for skates over a couple of times. Your neighbours to the North (that's me! O Canada!) seem to all have skates. I think I got a pair - new or used - every year of my youth. I can't remember ever NOT skating. So cool that it is a novelty and special occasion for you. Reminds me not to take it for granted!
 
Looks like fun! I've visited the sculpture garden in Spring, and it is beautiful! I imagine it is quite lovely with the ice:-)
 
you are so cute! & i love your hat!!
have fun at cha
:)
 
Could you be any cuter!?!? I think not :-) Great hat.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

press
contact me
my books & dvds
books with my work
previous posts
archives


Powered by Blogger
SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG'S FEED
all artwork and text
© Claudine Hellmuth Creative LLC
content of this site may not be reproduced in any manner without advance written permission

 

artwork portfolios | licensing | product shop | workshops & events | press room | blog | about me | contact | home

CLAUDINE HELLMUTH : Hip Art for Playful Hearts : Mixed media Collage and Custom Commissioned Artwork


All artwork and text in this web site copyright © Claudine Hellmuth Creative LLC